A DUI on your DMV driver's record in California results in 2 points on your license. If you get:-
- 4 points in a year
- 6 points in 2 years
- or 8 points in 3 years
- then the DMV will try to suspend your license for 6 months for being a negligent operator, a driver with too many points.
Examples of points
- Traffic infractions such as speeding and stop sign violations are worth 1 point.
- Accidents can be worth 1 point if you are at fault.
- Hit & run and Wet Reckless offenses are worth 2 points on your license.
Negligent Operator & Restricted License
If the DMV wants to suspend your license for being a negligent operator you are still entitled to a DMV Hearing and you might be able to get a restricted license if you drive a lot for work; so make sure you have a DMV Hearing in these situations.
Avoid getting points
Traffic School for traffic tickets
You cannot go to traffic school for a DUI in California nor can you do diversion or deferred entry of judgment for a DUI. But you can do traffic school for traffic tickets.
You always want to avoid getting points on your license so do traffic school every 18 months to hide any traffic tickets you might get.
For more information see:-
- www.helpwithtrafficticket.com - traffic school
- www.helpwithtrafficticket.com - points on your license
(These links will open in a new tab in your browser)